This place may also be referred as “heaven”, for me or any other lovers of Mexican food. This place is a huge supermarket geared towards Mexicans, sort of like the Asian food market except it was created by a white man trying to make money. The point is, this place is great and it made me feel like a kid in a candy store! It was the perfect place to collect fresh ingredients for Mexican cuisine.
I was introduced to this wonderful place by my mom’s friend’s boyfriend Bill in Arizona. He was even more passionate about Mexican food than anyone I have ever known (including myself!) He would eat and cook Mexican morning, noon, and night if he had the choice. While we stayed at my mom’s friend’s house, Bill wanted to impress his guests by making his famous tacos (or what he calls the best tacos ever.)
These tacos are easy to make and they are perfect to prepare for a crowd.
- High quality ground pork
- Canned black beans, strained and rinsed (or dried black beans that have been soaked overnight)
- Chipotle peppers, sliced
- Taco seasoning
- Heat up a skillet on the stove, then put it on medium heat. Place the high quality ground pork on the skillet until browned, but not yet cooked all the way
- Fill the skillet up with water to cover the pork
- Add beans and peppers
- Season the mix with roasted ground cumin, paprika, black pepper, and plenty of garlic powder. You could also season with store bought taco seasoning then add spices to your taste
- Put the heat on low and let the mixture simmer for about half an hour
Preparation for Tacos
- Slice tomatoes, roasted peppers, and avocado to put into your tacos
- Shred Cojita cheese (which is almost like queso fresca
- Pick leaves of fresh cilantro off of the stem
- Heat up soft tortillas in wrapped in wax paper in the microwave or crispy taco shells on a piece of paper towel
- Place all the vegetables and cheese in separate bowls
- Put the taco filling in a separate bowl
- Lay out the heated shells and you are done with a make-it-yourself taco bar!