Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hop In, My Dear!

by
Foodie Fish

I would like to start by apologizing to all you rabbit lovers out there. I, myself, happen to be quite fond of the fuzzy little critters (after all I’m pretty sure my cat is half rabbit). However, I must say that rabbit meat is some good eats.


Our local Pennsylvania Dutch Market has a great selection of fresh, organic, all-natural well-fed meats. This selection includes a personal favorite of me and Mode Mare: rabbit.


My mom’s nutritionist/doctor got her to buy an amazing Japanese pumpkin (kabocha) and sweet potato to make some form of soup. After seeing the rabbit at the Dutch Market, I knew exactly what I was cooking tonight.


Kabocha and Rabbit Stew


· 1 medim-sized chopped rabbit

· ¼ of a diced kabocha, skin on

· 1 pealed and diced sweet potato

· 1 cup of chopped celery

· 1 cup of chopped shallots

· Fresh rosemary

· Salt

· Extra virgin olive oil

· Red cooking wine


Heat the oil in a pan, then add the rabbit. Cook until the rabbit is browned (approximately 3-4 minutes), but not fully cooked. Add some red cooking wine and let that simmer a bit on the side.

In a separate pot, sauté all the vegetables together with olive oil. Once the vegetables are not quite cooked all the way, turn the heat to low and add the rabbit with the liquid from the pan. Fill the pot with water just so it covers everything.


Put the rosemary in a small strainer (like you’d use for tea), and put it in the simmering pot. Season with salt to taste.


Cook the stew on low heat for about 2 hours for the rabbit to tenderize.


This stew makes you think of a painting of a wood hunter’s lodge in the autumn. The sweetness of some of the ingredients really makes this dish special. Small amounts of celery and a touch of rosemary give it a little kick of a whispering flavor. The sweet potato and pumpkin are just so soft and chewy, while meat feels like it is just falling apart in your mouth.


Once again, sorry rabbit lovers!


No comments:

Post a Comment