Thursday, March 17, 2011

A modern take on the Gibson Girl


<- Remember her? The Gibson Girl? She was the personification of the feminine ideal in the US during the early 20th century. She was also, arguably, the first national standard of beauty, a standard that has been subsequently replaced by a variety of looks ranging from the bombshells of Victoria's Secret to the waifs on the runway.

Today, on a whim, I decided to do a modern take on her voluminous updo. Basically, I put my hair into the highest ponytail possible at the crown of my head, then pulled back the elastic a bit to create a little more volume at the bottom. My hair is naturally extremely flat, so that little bump may not look like much, but was a triumph for me! I then twisted the ponytail into a loose bun, securing it with bobby pins. It's a long way from that popular illustration above, but the idea's the same... minus the poofy front!









~mode mare

No comments:

Post a Comment